Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nursing Woes

Read on only if you want to hear me rant about nursing difficulties.  I write this post because this is something you never hear of, but is apparently common and I’m hoping some of you moms might have some more tricks.

So over two weeks ago I started having this sharp stabbing pain in my nipple.  I didn’t think anything of it, just that it was odd.  After a week I sent my mid wife a message asking her if she thought I should worry about it.  Before I heard back from her I made an appointment to see her because nursing causing tears and I’d frequently get stabbing pains that would make me stop and catch my breath. It is so painful.  So my mid wife (who is wonderful) tells me it sounds like a yeast infection which I got from Isaac having thrush.  I didn’t know he had thrush but after all his antibiotics it isn’t a shock.  She gave me an oral yeast infection medicine and some ointment and got the same for Isaac.  After 10 days on both I still have the infection.  It is getting better, but not gone.  I can’t imagine having this with a newborn that nurses all day and night.  It is miserable with a 9 month old that only nurses 4-5 times a day.  I talked to a lactation consultant who made some suggestions and I have tried some of those.  I have added probiotics to both our diets, I have tried soaking in a vinegar/water solution, I wash everything in hot water.  I’ve read that yeast doesn’t like sunlight but haven’t figured out how to do that. 

So I’m wondering if any of you have ever experienced this and what you may have done to help get rid of the infection.

2 comments:

The Peters Family said...

Nursing...sigh. I did one month of it with Anna and I swore I would never do it again. I ended up having a blocked duct that turned into mastitis that turned into an abscess. I had to have surgery to have it opened and drained then a wound vac on it for 2 weeks.
Good for you to do it as long as you have with each of your boys! You're a lot tougher than me!

Amber said...

I don't know if you've tried gentian violet (I hope I spelled that right). It's over the counter, in the pharmacy area. It's very purple and stains- so be careful. My older 2 girls had thrush a lot and gentian violet cured it better than anything. Dap a Q-tip in the bottle and smear it all over in their mouth. It's ugly and messy but worked for us when nothing else did.