Monday, April 4, 2016
What I've learned the last 3 weeks
We landed in Helsinki March 13th. We spent a week adjusting to the time and trying to get our bearings. We took public transit, went to the grocery store, checked out IKEA and took more public transit. That first week I learned how much I love the sound of English and that I can do this (I think). We were invited to the zoo and I decided if I didn't just get go for it, as intimidating as the hour commute with buses and subways was, I'd end up going crazy feeling stuck at home. So we went to the zoo, and we went to IKEA and we visited the boys' new school. We walked daily to get groceries, because the stroller's trunk wasn't big enough for much more than that and we learned to bundle up.
The following week Alexander and Benjamin started school. Alexander had a rough first day with some kids making fun of him for being American but things seem to be better. He went to a birthday party the second day. The school is amazing. They had a talent show that the teachers sang "What do you do with a Grumpy Teacher" for that included lyrics about strangling other teachers and abusing kids. We realized we are no longer in America. I went to a Relief Society activity and walked home by myself at 9 pm. This place is made for walking and I haven't been anywhere I didn't feel safe. The little boys and I started looking for a car and did a lot more bus riding. We checked out some of Helsinki. I don't know where all the people are for all the shopping that is available. We built a lot of furniture. I think IKEA actually makes it more difficult for themselves with how little pre-assmebly there is. We celebrated Easter with Kyle's co-worker and his family. His wife has made this move so much easier. She has brought food, lent us her car and been a listening ear. We dyed Easter eggs and had an egg hunt. Then we had them over for Easter dinner of lamb and mammi (a Finnish pudding made from rye and barley). If we are going to be in a foreign land we are going to experience all we can. The ghostly picture of Alexander is on a trail near our house near the Baltic Sea.
This last week we let the boys try out the hot tub. They thoroughly enjoyed it. We tried multiple times to buy a car, which is quite complicated since we don't have any way to access the bank account other than Kyle going to the bank. He finally succeeded after 3 or 4 tries. (Well sort of--we are test driving the car until they can get the insurance figured out.) I decided Isaac needed to go to school of some sort so we found him a preschool near the International School. He thrives on social interaction and I'm not nearly exciting enough. Saturday we got to all go to Helsinki and go to the outdoor market and wander around. We went to the church that the architect that designed our house designed. It was good to have a lazy weekend.
The things that are different here that I've noticed:
Toilet seats are more round than oval.
Grocery carts have all four wheels turn so it's like rally cart driving. (Kyle won't let me push the carts because I can't steer them.)
At the grocery store you have to weigh and price your produce yourself on scales and hope the sign near the item is what you think it is so you can enter the item code to print the barcode.
Driving in kilometers seems really really slow. I think because you see 100 and think it should feel like you are ready to take off but you are really just cruising at 60 mph.
The Finns like black licorice. A Lot.
They have amazing pastries. I may have traded in green smoothies for cinnamon rolls, and I may need to find a gym.
They don't do small talk. You don't say hi to people passing on the streets.
The yogurt section is enormous. They must really like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






































No comments:
Post a Comment