This move has made me really consider never moving again. It has been quite an experience.
We spent a week in Montgomery without Kyle. I dropped my phone and it completely died the night the truck driver was coming to get Kyle’s car. So after throwing two very tired boys in the car and driving to Walmart I was able to get a pre-paid phone to get me by until Kelly could mail me one more replacement phone (this was at least the 3rd). The driver didn’t get there until 11 and fortunately Tony and Tiffany came over to keep me safe and keep me company.
The movers decided not to call me from the gate and just drove through it. I was a bit concerned for our belongings. We stayed with Cindy (thank you again) who got up at 5 to make me breakfast and pack me a lunch. I’m telling you the people in Montgomery are great. Tuesday went pretty smoothly (thanks to Candi) for keeping the boys) and we left town around 4:30. We got to Baton Rouge about 10 and the real fun began.
Benjamin had mastered crawling out of the crib. We spent an hour every night and every nap time laying with him to get him to sleep. We hoped it would go back to normal—loving the crib—once we got settled but that hasn’t happened. He learned knock down the gate, then climb the gate, and we’ve had to turn the bedroom doorknob around so we can lock them in. (I had a neighbor growing up that did that and I swore I would never lock my kids in their room, but I don’t even know what other option we have now. I’m afraid he’d just get tangled in a crib tent.) So we are putting the crib in the attic this weekend and separating the bunk beds and crossing our fingers that sleeping habits will once again be something not from our nightmares.
We hung out at the hotel and enjoyed the pool, where both kids learned to become comfortable doing cannon balls. We went and saw the bigger townhouse that we had decided on and tried not to go crazy.
Saturday we went to check out the Baton Rouge Zoo. Montgomery—its got nothing on you. It did have giraffes you could feed. That was the redeeming attraction. It was really funny watching the boys get slobbered on by the giraffes.
We also found out on Saturday when trying to set up our cable that there was a serious miscommunication and the residents to the bigger townhouse were not moving out. So that left us the smaller townhouse which I had yet to see.
Sunday we went to church at 10 because Kyle thought it was Stake Conference. We ended up leaving and going back to the Baton Rouge 2nd ward at 11:30. It wasn’t Stake Conference.
Monday we came across a house to rent in Zachary (hard to find houses there because they have the best schools in the state) and decided to check it out, then decided it was too far away after Alexander got carsick and threw up all over the car (which already stunk because my corn syrup had spilled all over the back). We went and saw the townhouse, which is really small and decided it was our only option. Then came across a house south of Baton Rouge in Geismar and Kyle went to check it out. He really liked it and it really was a much better choice for the kids, it has a great yard and lots of room to run around. So we started scrambling to get utilities here. (I will post pictures later)
Our stuff arrived Tuesday and we didn’t get water until Wednesday, electricity Thursday and gas on Friday. But by Saturday we were pretty well settled in.
Sunday we went to the 3rd ward (25 minutes away) and sat through Testimony meeting and thought we were in the right ward until someone mentioned the Gonzales ward (Gonzales is just minutes from us) and so we checked with the Bishop after Sacrament and spent the 2nd block driving to the Gonzales ward. The ward seems great. Lots of young kids. We even have two families on our street. We went swimming with a bunch of them on Tuesday and things are looking up.
Thinks have definitely improved since being reconnected to the world today after over two weeks without internet.
Well I think that about sums it up. I’ll post pictures soon and be requesting decorating tips for our half court sized living room.
2 comments:
Glad things are looking up after all that! Good luck as things continue to settle!
Glad you are having fun! We miss you!
Post a Comment