Monday, August 3, 2009

Agency

Being a mother really makes you understand how hard it must be for our Heavenly Father to give us our agency and watch us make bad decisions time and time again. Of course my kids bad decisions are just hitting one another and not wanting to go to bed, but I dread the time (that I hope will never come) when those bad decisions are more life impacting.

My brother lately is using his agency to self destruct and can't see it at all. Michelle is leaving today for Utah with Samuel and BJ has yet to shed a tear. He was more concerned about the PS2 being taken from the apartment than the fact that he didn't even kiss his month old baby good-bye or that he'll never see him take his first step or say "dada" to him. My parents are devastated and my poor dad just seems broken. They feel like they are losing a son, a daughter and a grandson. My brother's choices just make me furious and unfortunately I don't see him changing paths anytime soon. I can't even imagine how hard this is on my parents. I wish we could just make him behave, but there's that agency thing. Right now agency and I have a love/hate relationship.

I hope and pray that I use my agency to please my Heavenly Father and will know how to teach my children to do the same. Please keep my family in your prayers. They need all they can get. BJ please try to understand what you are losing and change.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

So sorry Natalie. I hope you all get through this OK. We will be thinking about you.

kmmclain said...

I'm sorry Natalie that you and your family are having a difficult time.
You are all in my prayers. Please give your mom a hug for me.

Wardell Family said...

I am sorry to hear that about your brother. When we get together soon we need to talk about it. My brother is in the Odyssey House in Utah right now for drug rehab and he has lost custody of his little 4 yr old. I totally know what ya mean about agency-wish I could make him choose the right! My prayers are with you!

The Paries said...

Thanks for the support. It is really hard to lose Michelle and Sam and even harder to see my parents so broken-hearted.

Cameron and Cindy said...

I love you Natalie - talk to you soon. :)

Sandy said...

Hi, I read saw your blog while looking at the Fredrickson's blog(my daughter). There are so many families that I know who are affected by the choices of a child, brother/sister or spouse who is making very poor choices. I myself know the heartache of a child who is using that agency to make very poor choices even though he has been taught the gospel. The only thing that we can do is Love that person unconditionally and try to get them the help that they need if they will accept it. Just keep praying and never ever give up on that person. Great things can happen through faith and prayers.