Friday, August 23, 2013

Zachary Ellis Paries

August 13, 2013 8:42am 7lbs 19.5"

We went to the hospital Monday night for an elective (read I was more than a little tired of being pregnant and more than a lot uncomfortable) induction.  We planned on an uneventful experience much like the last 3.  I got my epidural just before 7 and started pictocin shortly thereafter.  The epidural had a hot spot that wasn't going away.  By 8 I was feeling every contraction, one on top of the next.  My doctor broke my water and I was only half way there.  He figured I had another couple hours and said he'd didn't think I'd deliver in the next 25-30 minutes, but within 2-3 hours I wouldn't be pregnant anymore. The anesthesiologist came and noticed blood in the catheter and decided to do a new epidural shortly after the doc left and they started prepping to put in a new one.  As they are making me hold still to put it in, I started feeling pressure.  An epidural takes 20 minutes to start working.  They got it in and I laid down.  The nurse checked me and said, "Yes you are going to have this baby, just not with an epidural." They started yelling for people to come help, since my nurse was the only one in there.  My doctor got there about 20 minutes after he had left and 5 minutes later I had this precious baby in my arms.  He was shocked I had progressed so quickly.  I have always said that you can have a birth plan but be flexible so you aren't disappointed if things go differently.  I never thought that would apply to me though with planned epidurals and taking the easy route. In my honest opinion and experience, natural delivery is stupid.  I was in so much pain and shock from the whole experience it was hard to take in the wonder of this new baby until I quit shaking.  I would never wish that pain on anyone.  It was gone quickly but that hour of real contractions and pushing was definitely "labor."  I had my tubes tied the next morning which I was awake for--also not the best of ideas.  I should have had them knock me out. But mom and baby are healthy and happy and adjusting to life.  (We lose grandma help today so we will see how good we really are next week.)  The big boys love him.  Alexander always wants to be right in his face.  Benjamin makes up lullabies to sing him when he is fussy.  Isaac who kept telling us that he was the baby and he didn't want a baby brother even seems to like him pretty well.

Kyle told me before we got married that he could only have boys.  I laughed it off.  But I am so incredibly thankful to my Heavenly Father who has blessed me with four happy, healthy, rowdy, perfect boys to call my own and a husband always by my side to help on this crazy journey.
















No comments: