We got there Thursday and the back of the bus was filled with families. I realized at that moment that my kids are who I am. I didn't know how to be without them. That first day was really hard. Kyle's company had a opening reception that night at the Ritz (where they were putting us up) by the pool and the beach. The food was incredible. They really spare no expense.
Friday morning started with breakfast and meetings for Kyle and poolside lounging for me. I spent the morning reading and chatting with some of the other wives and realizing I was glad we had left the kids. I was able to just relax. I wasn't having to chase them in separate directions or try and keep them from drowning. When Kyle was finished with his meetings we had lunch and walked the beach. That night was the formal. They had salsa dancers performing and a really good dinner. They had the best soup I have ever had. It was pumpkin and tasted just like the warm pumpkin pie complete with the whipped cream. We danced one slow song-remembered that the getting dressed up and dancing thing isn't really us and headed to the bar to watch the Stanley Cup finals.
Saturday was breakfast and pool lounging again. We had rain each day and it typically passed quickly so I figured I'd stick it out under an umbrella until after 30 minutes it was raining sideways and showed no sign of slowing anytime too soon. I headed back to the room and waited for Kyle. After his meetings we went out for lunch and had the best meal we ate while we were in Puerto Rico. It was a Puerto Rican burrito with a fried plantain instead of a tortilla, with pulled pork. It was amazing. We had time to go to the pool and the beach before the final Fast party. Kyle found a live sand dollar. They are furry and brown. Who knew? For the final festivities, Fast closed down a few block of Old San Juan. We toured one of the old forts (the veiws were spectacular) and wandered around the town a little. Unfortunately we didn't get much time to explore. There was a big party complete with a couple of whole pigs on spits and traditional Puerto Rican performances (they were also at the airport to see us off). We figure with all the liquor the company probably spent close to $2 million for the weekend. It was incredible.
Sunday we spent a little time at the beach before we had to head to the airport. Kyle went snorkeling and saw some cool fish. I watched to make sure he didn't drown and refrained from testing my fear of large open bodies of water and snorkeling masks.
I really missed my boys, but had a wonderful time relaxing with Kyle. It was a nice break from house remodeling and relieved a little stress before we had to start dealing with the passport agency and praying we get everything worked out for Kyle to go to Canada next week.
It is going to be a crazy summer.
(Sorry I tried moving things around and ended up with underlines and gave up)
1 comment:
Wow! What an incredible trip!! I'm so glad you guys had such a great time and were able to relax!
Post a Comment